How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 19326
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a one-bedroom apartment with my minor son who is

Customer Question

I live in a one-bedroom apartment with my minor son who is a high school freshman. I am partially disabled due to cancer but I work full time. My apartment is in a fourplex. I just received 3 days notice that all of my windows are being replaced on Saturday , leaving me with inadequate time to move my belongings and shield them from the dust and debris that this will cause. It will also be disruptive to my son who has homework and tests to study for this weekend. How can I get more time to move my belongings so that they don't get damaged and keep my son from being disturbed? Ideally I would like to delay it until summer when he is out of school, but I need at least a month. The landlord claims that it will only take a day, but it is an old building and I am sure that it will take longer and that they will have to return. It is also under rent control and I suspect that the landlord wants to start disruptive projects to inconvenience the tenants into moving. She once spent weeks repairing a tenant's door. Two of the tenants are elderly retirees who cannot comply that quickly, and I know that they are quite alarmed by this. I would ask her for more time but she does not negotiate and thinks that it's her right to barge in anytime. She had opened my door when I wasn't there and left it open. We live in Los Angeles, CA.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You can give the Landlord a written notice that you do not give her the consent to enter the premises because the time given is not convenient for you. You should list your reasons for not giving your consent. You are in legal possession of the premises and thus, the Landlord has no right to enter the premises without your consent UNLESS there is an emergency such as fire in the apartment or the apartment being flooded. If you do not give your consent, but the Landlord wants to enter, the Landlord must obtain a Court Order before entering your Unit. For the Landlord access to the premises, see California Civil Code Section 1954. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions