barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I do not have anything in writing, no rental agreement, nor

Customer Question

I do not have anything in writing, no rental agreement, nor receipts for money paid. I have paid a $200.00 deposit plus $600.00 rent for a one bedroom studio set up apart at the back of the property. The people renting the main house are the people renting me the studio. The add said utilities included. I am now being harassed by these people. They have cut part of the power to the studio and have continuously stolen the light bulbs lighting my parking space. My vehicle has also been messed with. I also have reason to believe that they have entered my home. The woman has now placed a restraining order making it impossible to speak to them about the electricity. Who can I call or who can I speak to, Too report these people? I have heard from The owners that all of these people's renters leave after the first month.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If they have cut the electricity to the apartment in any way, then this could be considered a "constructive eviction" and give you the legal right to file a small claims court lawsuit against them for breach of contract for your money back and damages for their unlawful behavior..The restraining order wouldn't prevent you from filing suit, just from speaking to them or having contact with them outside of a court room. .You can bring up the other issues, but if you don't have proof of it, then it may be hard to convince a judge. But you can definitely prove the electric issue if you call the local electric company and have them out to inspect to see why your electric is not operating. If they won't come out, then you can have an electrician out and pay him to give you a report, then sue them for reimbursement in your breach of contract suit..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister