How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 7349
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been displaced from my apartment due to a fire. My

Customer Question

I have been displaced from my apartment due to a fire. My apartment was not Damaged by the fire but I have no power in my apartment. Who is responsible for paying for a hotel room for me while they get the power fixed ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
This is a complex question which might involve insurance law in your state; however, this would normally be a landlord's expense for which the landlord's fire insurance coverage would apply. There is a possibility that the damage is so extensive that it cannot be repaired, and in that case, your lease may be terminated by its own terms. In that case, you would be responsible for your own expense in relocating. If the landlord does not pay for the hotel, then you would be entitled to reimbursement of the rent that you paid for the cost that you incurred. I hope this is helpful. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER