barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

If I want to evict a tenant from an illegal guest house in

Customer Question

If I want to evict a tenant from an illegal guest house in Los Angeles, how much relocation payment do I need to make?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me how long the tenant has been living there?.And the guest house is a single family dwelling, just unpermitted, correct?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been living there for 5 years with no lease (month to month), paying $1000/month ($750/mo UNDER market value) with no rent increase in 5 years. It's a converted garage.
Ok, the relocation money is due even if the unit is illegal, under the ruling of Salazar v. Maradeaga (1992) 10 Cal.App.4th Supp. 1..The amount of the relocation money would depend on their classification and if you visit this link and scroll down the page about 3/4 the way it will set out the calculations based on the age of the tenant, any disability, their income , and how long they have lived there:.Relocation calculator..thanksBarrister