How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My commercial tenant's lease call to install a

Customer Question

My commercial tenant's lease call for him to install a seperate elect meter for his space. Instead, be has been using electricity for which i pay. He owes for 6 months and refused recently to reimburse me.
Can i legally cut off his elect?
What warrning to him is required?
Other options available to me?
Possible legal cosequences to me?
Howwould you collect for the 6 months?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He is in breach of lease and you need to send him a written notice informing him that he is breaching his lease and a demand for payment of what he owes you for doing so. In the letter you need to inform him that if he does not pay and switch over within 30 days you are going to disconnect your service and you are going to file suit for eviction based on his breach of the lease.
You need to file suit ultimately if he refuses to pay you and make the meter change. If you take self help measures, such as lock out, you can end up fighting him for unlawful eviction and have this tied up in court for a much longer time. So, the best deal is to give him 30 day notice to cure the breach and pay you, or be evicted. If he does not pay and cure the breach, then you file suit against him for eviction and pursue him in court.