How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9903
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently rent a house where I live with my Landlord (Dates

Customer Question

I currently rent a house where I live with my Landlord (Dates 9/1/15 - 8/31/16). I've recently discovered that my landlord sells drugs out of the house and constantly has a consortium of shady individuals come through the house.
I would like to simply move out due to concern about my safety, reputation, and belongings. Is this a legitimate reason to break lease? Do I have a claim to my security deposit and last months rent? How should I proceed? Should I collect evidence of said drug dealing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
What state is this in regards ***** *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pennsylvania..... Philadelphia to be specific.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - a few more minutes please.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
When a person rents an apartment, the law says you are "buying," in addition to other things, the right not to be bothered or disturbed by other people, including the landlord (LL). This is called the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. It is part of a lease even if it doesn't actually state it. The covenant of quiet enjoyment applies to oral and written leases. If a LL is committing an illegal act or allowing others to do so this would be a violation of the covenant and allows one to vacate. In order to protect oneself, it is important to have proof; and it is generally best to have an attorney draft the notice to the LL, specifying the date the tenant will be moving out, and requesting return of the deposit (assuming no damages) and the last month's rent. Technically the LL allowing for drug activities would be in violation of the lease, which would void the lease, which would nullify the last month's rent.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
sample letters are here They can be used as a template and then an attorney can review it and send on their letterhead to help keep legal fees down. Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions