How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are Rick and Janet. We are renting from Mike and Kathy.

Customer Question

Hi. We are Rick and Janet. We are renting from Mike and Kathy. About November of last year we had a person from their mortgage company come here to take pictures of the house because they had quit paying their mortgage. A few days later the sheriff came and wanted to serve papers to Mike. We called Mike in Florida (where they live now) and he was very nice and said, yes, they had quit paying the mortgage and for us not to worry about it. He told us we didn't have to pay rent anymore either. Both the guy from the bank and the sheriff told us Mike and Kathy were scamming us. Last week Mike called us again and said we owe them $3,000 and we have to be out by the end of this month because they are coming here and will lock up the place. They will keep anything we don't get out of here. He was not nice at all this time. We want to know what our rights are. We don't want a fight here. Rick and Janet
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney. I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This will not help me. I would like my money returned please.
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello, different expert here....Are you still looking for help with your situation as I can answer any questions you might have?.If so, can you tell me what state you are in?.thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You cannot help me. I don't want to pay for this. I need to know if you have taken my money. Janet
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you what your rights are here and what the owner can and can't do under the law..But if you would prefer a refund, you would need to contact JustAnswer's customer service and they will happily provide a refund, no questions asked...thanksBarrister

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions