How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 33030
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Loren, do you remember talking to me in March about our

Customer Question

Hi Loren, do you remember talking to me in March about our home that the new owners wanted to sue us? Well we are talking to the new owner today, did you tell me that they had to file the suit in the state where we live now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Unless the contract specifies a choice of venue to which you agree to submit yourself to the jurisdiction of, a plaintiff would, generally, need to sue you in the state where you reside.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
CA may have jurisdiction over the matter, but not over the resident of another state. They do not have personal jurisdiction over you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Assuming you have not submitted yourself to the jurisdiction of the CA court, they would file suit and serve you in your state. You would retain a CA attorney to file a limited appearance for the purpose of filing a motion to dismiss based upon lack of personal jurisdiction.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions