barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Is a tenant allowed to paint their own apartmen, inclding the

Customer Question

is a tenant allowed to paint their own apartmen, inclding the color of their choice as long as they return the apartment the color they found when moving in?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..This depends entirely on what the lease says because in most situations, a lease states the the tenant can't paint without written approval of the landlord. This is the landlord's property, not the tenant's, so the tenant has no inherent legal right to change anything about the fundamental nature of the property without the landlord's consent..So if the landlord says it is OK, get it in writing so that you don't get dinged at the end of any lease when the landlord says it is a lease violation and that he never allowed the tenant to paint.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not want a monthly membership. But that was not an option. I AM 80yrs. Old limited income. I asked the question fir the other tenants that didn't know where to look for answers I agree to a 1 time only fee that comes out to $34 no more than that. YES your answer is now what I recall, however the landlord said no at first then I found a law it may have been under HUD housing that states as long as you return the property as found. Then I was given permission in writing.
I have been a landlord for over 26 years and an attorney for over 15 and have never seen any HUD rule that would allow that. HUD has no legal authority over privately owned property of a landlord. Now if HUD owns the property, they may have their own internal rules about things like painting, but there are no state laws that would determine this..But as long as you have it in writing, you are on solid legal ground here and as long as you comply with the agreement, you are allowed to repaint..As for any membership, I am just a site user like you and not an employee of JustAnswer. If you have any questions about your account, then you would have to contact JustAnswer's customer service about that....thanksBarrister