How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 33042
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-boyfriend wants me to sign an agreement stating that

Customer Question

my ex-boyfriend wants me to sign an agreement stating that I will carry the utilities in my name in order to get removed from the lease. I do not believe he can afford the rent and utilities and he will ruin my credit. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you a tenant on the lease? How much time is left in the lease term? Is the landlord on board to release you from the lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I am on the lease until 2/1/17 landlord is bestfriends with ex and doesn't want to get involved
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.Before you agree to anything, you need a release from the landlord, in writing, stating that if you comply with whatever terms you agree the landlord will release you from the tenancy. Otherwise, I have a feeling the landlord and your boyfriend are going to keep changing the deal. You may want to consider a lump sum payment rather than terms tied to ongoing accounts.As far as your personal property, the boyfriend has not right to hold your property hostage. You should first ask the local police if they will provide an escort for you to pick up your things. If they refuse, you can file a replevin action asking the court to order the ex to return your property to you under threat of being held in contempt.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you still online with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I cancel this
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Contact customer care. The will make sure you have no recurring charges.Did I answer your question? If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions