How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56528
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lawyer,My rental property is in Elk Grove area, California.

Customer Question

Hi Lawyer,
My rental property is in Elk Grove area, California.
My question is my tenant supposed to have a move-out walk through with me yesterday (4/1/2016). He gave me 30-days notice and sent me email stating that his departure date was 3/31/2016. Tenant paid his last late rent and current water/sewer bill. I sent him SMS to remind him the inspection date and time. He texted me he was busy with his work, he and his dad already cleaned the house. His dad left the house key and mailbox key in the house. Tenant texted message stating that he would try his best to meet me for the move-out inspection. Unfortunately, my tenant did not show up at all. Yesterday is the April fool for me. I called/texted message to him. No response at all. What should I do ? I am worrying what happened to him. He lived in the rental house for two years and 1-1/2 months. At least 4 times was late to pay rent. But he would pay the late fee and apologized for the late payment.
My concern is : I sent text message and emailed him this morning 4/2/2016 (9 am), I request him to response to me within 24 hours , otherwise, I will call police to get into the property. I want to make sure nothing happen inside the house and make sure it is a legal action to do it for a landlord. Since I am a female, I am scare to get into the house if something happened. I already put my house on market to rent. A lot of future tenants call for the open house. I cannot do anything if my tenant did not reply to me. Would you please solve my problems and give me some advice? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
is he still at your property? have you inspected it yet? are you asking if you can inspect on your own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lawyer,
My tenant emailed me that departure on the property was on 3/31/2016.
He said he would come at the appointment for the walk through. He did not authorize me to inspect the property by myself (landlord). We will have move-out walk -through form to fill in. Of couse, I cannot inspect the house without his presence at the house. I mailed and emailed him the move-out instructions before the move-out walk through date.
He understands what we agree on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lawyer,
My tenant did not authorize me to get into the property. My question is after 24 hours notice (email writing/text message) to him. I already gave him 24 hours notice. I checked with the California landlord right that I can access my property. I would confirm with you whether the police will help me to get into the property. How can I have someone accompany me (the witness) to check the house after 24 hours notice later ? I need to refund security deposit to him after inspecting the house condition, If I did not have his forwarding address. What can I do, send to his working place by certified mail ?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You may inspect with a lawyer or friend who can serve as witness on notice. You may hold deposit if don't have an address to forward it. You should write tenant for forwarding information if reachable. From what you have narrated you are doing all you can to comply and the law doesn't require you search for tenant. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Kindly rate me positively.