How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 31680
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am renting a room in a house sitting on conservation land

Customer Question

I am renting a room in a house sitting on conservation land (Hawaii). I am an independent contractor physician and practice "telemedicine"; in other words I consult with patients via Internet. I am not a business and I do not work for a company. I pay my own taxes,etc as is expected of an Independent Contractor/consultant. I have no direct one-on-one patient contact. My landlord has decided that it is illegal for me to a consultant here where I live because Zoning precludes it. I do not agree. He has already filed a restraining order. What do you think?
Rona Lieberman,MD
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist

Has the landlord provided you with the zoning ordinances he claims are relevant; and if so, have you taken a look at them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I were some mom and pop business he would be correct. HOWEVER, as an independent contractor I am
not a business and therefore not privy to the particular laws in question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to the IRS I am not privy to the zoning laws in question.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
You are likely conducting business even if you're an independent contractor. But, if you're not creating business traffic in the neighborhood, then the landlord's claim is likely frivolous.
On a basic level, you're not doing anything different than I am right now......not anything different who sells on eBay (or a similar site) from home.But, all depends on what the zoning ordinance says and if you can't agree, then you should consult the enforcement agency and get an opinion.....and if that doesn't settle it, you could take the issue to court and let a judge decide the issue.