How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord is converting my garage into s house and also

Customer Question

My landlord is converting my garage into his house and also moving in his stuff do I have any rights? He also only accepts cash and keeps building more rooms in the house to rent out to people. Currently there are 7 of us living here and him plus his wife will make 9! What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The landlord cannot change the terms of the lease (this includes taking over parts of the property for his/her own use).

The landlord cannot require you to pay rent in cash (unless you have been delinquent in rent - see this article by the California Attorney General for details:

To enforce your rights, you can sue your landlord for "breach of contract" (the lease agreement) as well as a breach of your "implied right of quiet enjoyment" in small claims court:

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions