Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My grandson signed an apartment rental agreement with a

Customer Question

My grandson signed an apartment rental agreement with a friend. The friend vacated the apt for 2 months then returned. The friend was conducting illegal drug sales in the apt. My grandson told him to stop but he didn't so my grandson moved out and gave the apt a signed form to terminate the lease. The apt won't release my grandson until the friend also signs to terminate the lease. Now the friend sent my grandson a letter from an attorney saying they are going to sue him for 1/2 of rent and utilities. Utilities were in my grandsons name. He had them turned off. What recourse does my grandson have? He barely was able to pay rent to begin with. They also had a 3rd friend not on the lease but paying rent. That person vacated due to other legal problems. But he wasn't on the lease. Memphis TN.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did your grandson alert the landlord or the police about the drug dealing?