MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

Friends apartment building had a small fire today. it set

Customer Question

friends apartment building had a small fire today. it set off the sprinklers and there is water damage to his apartment. It would seem obvious to me that the building s policy would naturally cover any apartment damage..Ceiling/floors, etc...) I realize that most leases require renters insurance. That being said, assuming that he does not have renters insurance, typically/generally would the building still be liable for any damage to personal property as a result of the sprinklers going of
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no. The tenant is responsible to obtain insurance for anything inside his or her unit. If there is a fire, the sprinklers are supposed to go off and so there would not be any negligence involved on the part of the landlord since the sprinklers worked as they were supposed to. The owner's policy would only cover the building itself and not the interior units.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.