How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently moved out of my apartment. My rental agreement

Customer Question

I recently moved out of my apartment. My rental agreement states that I get my security deposit back from my other roommates. The other girl kept $400 of my deposit to clean the carpets in my room and paint the walls in my room. I know that neither of those things were done prior to my moving in, and I also know that a landlord cannot charge for normal wear and tear, which would be the case here becuase everything was left in the same condition as when I moved in. She is not the "landlord" but do those same rights apply with her? Can I follow the same process of "demand for payment" followed by small claims if she does not comply?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is yes. You can follow those same procedures against her for holding your security deposit. Ultimately, you may need to sue her in small claims court.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Are there any specific reference that should be made in the demand for payment letter?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions