How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 2440
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with my brother year taking care of s

Customer Question

I have been living with my brother for a year taking care of his wife who is critically sick.
Her brother is trying to throe them out, This is in Marietta, Georgia. Her mother owns the Condo and my brother and his wife pay her mother monthly rent, I have no place to live.
Do I have any legal rights????????????Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

You do. Does the brother who is trying to throw everybody out have any legal rights to manage the property? Such as a Power of Attorney or a guardianship/conservatorship over the estate of your sister-in-law's mother?

Also, does the sister-in-law's mother live at the property? Does the sister-in-law's brother?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the brother has no legal rights, no - the mother of the sister-in-law does not live in the condo nor does the brother - I live in the property with my brother and sister-in -law.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

While the mother could decide to have you removed from the property, the brother cannot do so without a Power of Attorney or other legal authority over the mother's property. If the mother wanted you to leave, she'd have to start by giving you a valid written, legal notice that gives you the opportunity to voluntarily leave in a specified amount of time. If you did not leave, she would then have to file an eviction case. Because of how long you have lived there, you have rights like any other tenant.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Does that answer your question?

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions