Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Are we legally binding to have to sign a new lease

Customer Question

Are we legally binding to have to sign a new lease for a manufacture home community when the original lease we signed when we first moved in does not have an expiration date?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If your current lease doesn't have an expiration date, then you are legally considered a month-to-month tenant. Your landlord can terminate the lease and ask you to leave at any time, as long as they give you proper notice. That also unfortunately means they're allowed to raise the rent as long as they give you proper notice. The fact that the current lease doesn't have an expiration date doesn't mean that they're never allowed to raise the rent or ask you to leave.

You can choose to refuse to sign a new lease, but if you do, they will increase your rent and you will remain a month-to-month tenant. That also means you'll have the freedom to terminate the lease and leave at any time (as long as you give notice), and they'll have the freedom to increase your rent at any time. Or you can choose to sign a new lease, with only a $10 increase, and they won't be allowed to increase your rent again until that lease ends.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.