Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We live in Tennessee- met with the owner of condo twice-

Customer Question

we live in Tennessee- met with the owner of condo twice- signed the lease on Sunday- he took the lease to revise a few things- we met again today assigned time 4:00 pm. He tells us change of plans?? He has had so many calls and emails regarding the unit. They all will and want to do either 24 months or 36months since their is such a demand, The unit was advertised for 12 months and that is what our signed lease says and I told him we were not signing a 24 month lease as we have signed a 12 month lease. He said we never gave him a check since we were giving him the check today. I told him we have a signed lease agreement. He said no check no contract? I remind him the contract is binding as well in Tennessee verbal agreements are binding. He still has on the internet the advertised 12month lease. Do we have any rights for a lawsuit? We have two kids and this is not a normal kid friendly area? Many young professionals and we are in our early 40's with two boys 11 and 13? This conversation over the lease has gone on for 3 weeks- we have turned down other leases and now we have no where to go and we close on our house in two weeks. WE are in a situation where we would not rent from this guy now if we could but this is not right.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You wrote: he took the lease to revise a few things The need to revise a few things suggests that the contract is not complete. What things were to be revised---and were you of the opinion that had the changes been not to your liking you could back out?

2. You say that you signed the lease. Did the landlord sign as well?

3. What verbal lease agreement did the two of you enter into?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

Do you still need help? If I am to assist you I truly need, at a minimum, the minimal information I requested. I was pretty sure that I had good news for you but if you won't communicate with me obviously cannot help you.

Have a good evening,

Doug