Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I have had a salon in a small strip center five years. Just

Customer Question
I have had a salon...
I have had a salon in a small strip center for over five years. Just over a year ago the property managers allowed a smoke/head shop to lease the space two doors down and just three months ago a marijuana dr moved in right next door. The amount of unsavory clientele in the small area has increased tenfold and so has the crime. The marijuana dr came into my salon four times one day right before Christmas to harass my hairdressers and even told one of them he would pay her $150 to cut his hair right then. He appears to be on some sort of drug at the time. Over the new year weekend our phone line was cut between our two business and he had someone working on his side. Today I was told that half of my hairdressers are leaving in two weeks mainly because they no longer feel safe there. Can I sue the property managers for not providing a safe place to be and destroying my business?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/13/2016
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 1 year ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, if the landlord chose to rent to other tenants who were engaged in lawful businesses, and it negatively affected yours, that wouldn't give you grounds to hold them liable for any lost business. The landlord has a legal duty to provide a property that meets all applicable building and safety codes, but that is about it. They don't have a duty to only rent to tenants who would help or complement your business...

.

If someone threatened you or caused some safety issue, only that person can be held liable because the landlord is not liable for the unlawful actions of a third party..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney