Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived here years. i have never paid a parking fee.

Customer Question
i have lived here for...
i have lived here for sixteen years. i have never paid a parking fee. this years lease offered a 14 month with no rent increase but the new lease contains an addendum for a parking space. if i don't park on the premises do i still have to pay the parking fee of 35.00 which they say is part of the rent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/8/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, the lease can include the additional fee (whether or not you use the amenity).

The rules for rental increases (regardless as to how the landlord categorizes the increase) can be found here: http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_lti/rnt_incrse_bultin.pdf