Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a rental commercial unit around 2000Sft, with roof…

Customer Question
I have a rental commercial...
I have a rental commercial unit around 2000Sft, with roof leaking problems. Although I replace with a brand new roof 3 months ago, I still have leaking problems due to drainage because the building is more than 100 years old,and each time, the plasters from the ceiling fell down.. Do I have the rights to ask tenants to move out due to unsafety conditions?
Thank you, Doan
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/7/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Doan. Actually, likely not. Unless the contract specifically states that this allows the landlord to terminate the contract early, it would be up to the tenants to agree.

This is because in commercial settings, the tenants are responsible for taking care of most of maintenance for the property, including heat, AC, etc, and the roof. Unless the contract states otherwise, there is no right to mandate an early termination.

The city/county can mandate that they move out if they deem it unsafe, however.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.