Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Who is responsible unpaid electric bill at the end of a

Customer Question
Who is responsible for an...
Who is responsible for an unpaid electric bill at the end of a lease in Burbank ca?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2016
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? I'm presuming the lease provides that the tenant is responsible for the electric bill during the term of the lease...is that correct? Thanks.

specificly is the person who is named on the bill the one responsible? What about people that are on the lease living there but have no dealing with the electric company?
My son has been there one year others up to three years
Still there?

Thanks for following up. There are two contractual relationships here...the one between the tenant and the electric company and then the one among tenants. As between the electric company and your son, your son is liable since he's on the bill. But, among the tenants, they have an agreement to each pay your portion. So, if your son pays more than his percentage share, then he has a claim against the other for the disproportionate amount paid.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

My son is not on the bill
Another tenant signed for the electric three years ago my son only there one year
Still here.?

Thanks for clarifying. Then the same rules apply. Sorry...it takes me a bit to type your response. Thanks for your patience. The person on the bill is liable to the utility company and the tenants are each liable for their share, but only for the time they're there!