Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm a landlord of a three unit building in San Francisco of…

Customer Question
I'm a landlord of a...
I'm a landlord of a three unit building in San Francisco of which one unit is governed by Section 8. In October 2015, the SF Housing inspector cited two minor repairs to address which I completed and waited a month for approval, which was noted as complete. Since this time (October - current period) the SF Housing has yet to pay their portion of the rent, over $8000.
SF Housing states that they cannot release payment for my property rent given their systems link my property with another property my management company services. The other property is no longer under management with my property manager's company. SFH Housing requested 'change of management" which has been proven by statement emailed to them by that owner.
I have yet to receive the back rent and no response from SF Housing; how do you recommend I pursue the rent owed to me. My property manager has gone down to their offices to resolve, but they only give her numbers and email addresses to contact supervisors who are not responding.
Problem now is that I sold the property and concerned another 'system' error will create more confusion.
Your professional direction to best proceed is greatly appreciated.
Steve
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/3/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have sent them a letter with all of the proof of documentation and demanding payment already and they still refuse to respond, you need to send them one final request in writing informing them you have provided them all of the necessary proof for payment and as they have failed to make payment if they do not pay within 30 days (since they are a government entity) of your letter you will be forced to file suit against them for breach of contract.
If they do not respond in 30 days, then you have to go to small claims and file suit against them for the money due in breach of your contract. You can sue in CA small claims for up to $10,000 without an attorney.