Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I sublet an apartment from a tenet that was moving away, he…

Customer Question
I sublet an apartment from...
I sublet an apartment from a tenet that was moving away, he said i could use his bed and dresser. I did not sign a lease with the landlord. The lease ended and he did not pick up his property. I had to remove it. 5 months later he is requesting his property and threatening small claims court. does he have a case? am i responsible for his things after all this time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/2/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you were not legally obligated to take his furniture with you when you did leave, he never agreed to give those things to you and if you still have possession of them, you are obligated to turn them over to him if he asks for them. You don't have to deliver them to him but he may come to you to get his property.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug