Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am considering leasing a home. There is a guest house in…

Customer Question
I am considering leasing a...
I am considering leasing a home. There is a guest house in backyard where there is also a pool. If I lease this home only I will have access to the pool.
My question is as follows: The home owner told me that every month I will pay rent and in return he will reimburse me $150 from utility bill of Gas and Electric as the meter is not split. Technically I will be paying the Renter of Guest Pool House utilities correct?
The owner never mentioned the Water bill and I am wondering if I will also be paying the water bill for the Guest House renter too. The owner did not mention this.
Please advise. Is this legal or taking advantage?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Thank you. I am hesitant about renting this home due to the above mentioned.

Anything you agree to pay is, generally, legal. So, it can be both legal and taking advantage. In other words, just because an arrangement is not fair, it is not, in and of itself, illegal.

Do not be afraid to negotiate a more equitable arrangement for the utilities, as the pool is going to use up the lion's share of the resources.

My concern is also the Water bill. If the Renters of the Pool House are using water where is their meter running considering the fact that they do not have their own for Gas and Electric. I am speculating that I would also be paying for their Water bill and the Owner did not disclose that.
Should I inquire of the water bill too?

Yes, you need to negotiate the responsibility to pay for all the utilities carefully, including water. You should not be sharing water and heat expenses equally for a swimming pool not included in your lease.

The swimming pool would only be apart of my lease and not the renters of the pool house.When I viewed the home I seen that the pool house is in the backyard of main house and did not like that idea. I inquired due to privacy. Was told that then renters of the pool house would not have access to the pool.With a pool I still have to pay a water bill for the pool water? I thought that as there is already water in the pool no problem.
The owner just responded to my question and said that there is no water bill. Included with rent.

You can negotiate with the landlord any deal you can bot work out for utility payments. If you do not want the reponsibility and expense of a swimming pool then this may not be the house for you.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Loren, Lawyer