Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord sent me a written 30 day notice to remove

Customer Question
My landlord sent me...

My landlord sent me a written 30 day notice to remove certain things from the perimeter if the house. However I was in the hospital so did not recieve the letter until 3 days later. We are trying to comply however my neighbor who also rents from our landlord is constantly taking pictures of what we are doing . we even put up a temp privacy fence and they stand on objects to take pics over the fence. We have rented from him for 17 going on 18 years. Never complained about anything always just fixed things ourselves . we never even complained when he started raising the rent every year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My husband has collected quite a bit of stuff since he retired. Most people who wouldnt know what to do with the objects would naturally consider it junk. And lately our landlord has become very obsessed about going into our bedroom . I cant imagine why he would need to go into our personal space it feels like an invasion of privacy.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/26/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

What is your specific question?

I actually have 3 questions but they all pertain to the same event. Can ai extend the 30 day notice since I was in the hospital when the letter was delivered? Is it legal for my neighbors to take pictures of us working in the yard if we put up a temporarynprivacy fence? Do I have to let my landlord in my bedroom when he comes to the house?
I already paid through paypal

Thank you for the information:

I actually have 3 questions but they all pertain to the same event. Can ai extend the 30 day notice since I was in the hospital when the letter was delivered?

Response 1: Yes, since you have mitigating circumstances. You did not receive the notice until you came back from the hospital. So, you cannot legally comply with a notice that you did not receive--you could not have complied with the notice while in the hospital since you were not home to see the notice.

Is it legal for my neighbors to take pictures of us working in the yard if we put up a temporarynprivacy fence?

Response 2: No, it is not legal. That is egregious violation of your privacy. You may file complaint with your local Police or file lawsuit for violation of your privacy.

Do I have to let my landlord in my bedroom when he comes to the house?

Response 3: No, unless he has a legitimate reason for access to your bedroom. That is, if there is a repair to be made there or an inspection that is required.