Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

IF I could have two or three &'s on my property before I was

Customer Question
IF I could have two...
IF I could have two or three B&B's on my property before I was in the city limits, am I "Grandfathered" in so that I can still put two or three B&B's on my property after I am put in to city limits of my small town?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/25/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Grandfathering is not something that happens automatically. There would have to be some sort of law that said people who were part of your area before it became part of the city were permitted an exception to the city's zoning laws. However, the way that usually works is that people would only be grandfathered in if they were out of compliance with the law at the time the change happened - meaning, properties that previously had 2 or 3 B&Bs wouldn't be required to tear them down. It wouldn't necessarily mean a person who could have, but didn't, build the buildings retains the right to do so. But there would have to be a law that specifically provided for those exceptions. There isn't any general, over-arching grandfather statute that applies to all situations.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney