Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I wanted to know about eviction laws in the state of MD.

Customer Question
Hello again! I wanted to...
Hello again! I wanted to know about eviction laws in the state of MD. According to my family, friends, doctor, and an abuse helpline I am in an emotionally and mentally abusive relationship. I am a bit in denial about it.I've asked him to leave multiple times, we argue, and either refuses to leave or charms himself into me forgiving him momentarily. After speaking to the abuse helpline they informed me in some states if he has lived here longer than two months actually kicking him out may be difficult. I would possibly have to go through an eviction process. He has openly said he is intent on ruining my life legally... and always brings up this lawyer he has, I feel like threatening to sue someone for trying to break up with them is black mail. As we discussed before he still believes he can have the authorities take my dog away. He also wants to sue because very soon into our relationship I contracted several STDs, and none of my previous partners tested positive nor was I showing symptoms prior to us being intimate.Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/24/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good evening. Thank you for requesting me.

Once someone establishes residency in your premises you are going to need to treat them, for purposes of eviction, as a month to month tenant.

This is true even if they pay no rent. You will need to formally terminate their tenancy with one month's written notice termination.

Then you will file a petition for an ejectment. The judge will issue the order and you will place it with the local sheriff, who will execute the order by removing him from the premises, along with his personal property.

Anytime you go to court it is advisable to have an attorney representing your interest. That seems especially true here where your ex seems likely to resist all efforts to remove him.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Loren, Lawyer