Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Dusty was living with her unemployed husband (has not worked…

Customer Question
Dusty was living with her...
Dusty was living with her unemployed husband (has not worked since Oct 2015), 2 weeks ago, rent was due, her husband told her to pay the rent or move out. Dusty sold what she could to make rent, couldn't come up with the money, husband kicked her out. She left her service dog (in training) with her husband not knowing where she would be or if she could take her. She did ask to find her a home, but once she moved she realized she could take her dog. Her husband did sell the dog 3 days after she left. Which also happens to be the same day that she contacted her husband to get her dog back. He told her he gave her away, but come to find out he sold her for $100. She still has the original bill of sale (notarized) from when she purchased the dog. Can she reclaim her dog with this document?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
never mind
2/22/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Heather,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If the husband did not own the dog because Dusty paid for the dog personally, then the husband didn't have the right to sell it and she can get the dog back. She will need to be prepared to pay the person the $100 they paid or they may not return the dog. And if they won't return the dog then she will have to sue them to get the dog back.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug