How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 19111
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a lease located 5508 Craftwood Drive, Cane Ridge Tn

Customer Question

I signed a lease for property located***** Cane Ridge Tn 37013 on 01/13/2016 with the lease holder/landlord whereas I gave a cashier ck for the amount of $6500 plus an earlier $500 totaling $7000 to secure the property. The property was to become available to move in 02/01/16 per the lease agreement. As of yet I have not set foot on the property and to my surprise the prior tenant has not moved and is to be evicted per the landlord. I am tired of the excuses and demanded my money back and the landlord stated he would not return the money and I would have to wait on the tenant to vacate and I would like to sue for my $7000 deposit.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly sue the Landlord for full refund since the Landlord has failed to deliver the unit to you as stated in the lease. The Landlord has no legal basis whatsoever for refusing to return your entire deposit to you.

The Lawsuit would be filed at the Courthouse in the County where the property is located as a Small Claim in General Sessions Court. Click on the links below to locate your Courthouse and for general information regarding Small Claims:

Angi Bain
City Court Clerk

105 South Main Street

Goodlettsville, TN 37072***-***-****Davidson County

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can also file complaint against the Landlord with Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs for refusal to return your deposit to you after failing to deliver the premises to you. Click on link below for complaint information:

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions