Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I signed a lease located 5508 Craftwood Drive, Cane Ridge Tn

Customer Question
I signed a lease for...
I signed a lease for property located***** Cane Ridge Tn 37013 on 01/13/2016 with the lease holder/landlord whereas I gave a cashier ck for the amount of $6500 plus an earlier $500 totaling $7000 to secure the property. The property was to become available to move in 02/01/16 per the lease agreement. As of yet I have not set foot on the property and to my surprise the prior tenant has not moved and is to be evicted per the landlord. I am tired of the excuses and demanded my money back and the landlord stated he would not return the money and I would have to wait on the tenant to vacate and I would like to sue for my $7000 deposit.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/22/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

You can certainly sue the Landlord for full refund since the Landlord has failed to deliver the unit to you as stated in the lease. The Landlord has no legal basis whatsoever for refusing to return your entire deposit to you.

The Lawsuit would be filed at the Courthouse in the County where the property is located as a Small Claim in General Sessions Court. Click on the links below to locate your Courthouse and for general information regarding Small Claims:

http://tncourts.gov/courts/court-clerks/clerks-list

Angi Bain
City Court Clerk

105 South Main Street

Goodlettsville, TN 37072***-***-****Davidson County

http://tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/docs/final_guidelines_and_helpful_info_for_people_in_gen_sess_court_-_may_2013.pdf

You can also file complaint against the Landlord with Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs for refusal to return your deposit to you after failing to deliver the premises to you. Click on link below for complaint information:

http://attorneygeneral.tn.gov/cpro/filecomplaint.html

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law