TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My condo unit was infected by mold which started in another

Customer Question

My condo unit was infected by mold which started in another unit. can I claim damages from the other unit for remediation and repair expenses? or, I can ask the home owners' Association for reimbursement?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that you would get anything from the homeowners association. After all the homeowners association can argue that it had nothing to do with the mold in either condo unit.

However, if the neighbor negligently allowed mold to grow in his unit thereby spreading to your unit, then it does seem likely that you have recourse against him. You can ask the homeowner for his insurance information so you can file a claim. If he refuses, then you can sue him. My suggestion would be to retain an attorney for this though you certainly have the right to proceed alone in court. Obviously, although retaining an attorney will be more expensive, you will have a much greater likelihood of success with an attorney.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.