Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I own a mobile home park in FL and deal with a charity that

Customer Question
helps homeless people find a...
I own a mobile home park in FL and deal with a charity that helps homeless people find a place to stay. They recently asked me to help with a person letting him move into one of my trls. I have excepted no money for rent or anything as of yet from them. I received an email from Fl dept of sexual offenders listing this person as a registered offender for something that happened back in 1992. This person did not disclose this to the charity or to me at time of lease signing so he moved in. When I did find out I called the charity and told them he had to go since the park has children in it. He in turn called me explaining the situation and asking me for a chance to prove himself a changed man. He has never done anything like that again and hasn't been in trouble with the law. My question is am I required to notify all the tenants he's there and if something does happen, god forbid, will I be held responsible for anything since I knew about the charge against him. And can I legally get rid of him asap because I do know.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/20/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did his crime involve a minor? Has he sent out the required notice to the neighbors that he is a sex offender?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was an unknown gender minor and has not notified other tenants. He has notified the sheriff of new address. I am afraid once the tenants find out they will leave
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The act was computer in Pierce WA IN 1992
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Committed
Thank you for your reply.
Under FL law, he will have to register with the local authorities as a sex offender and he cannot live within 1,000 feet of any school, child care facility, park, or playground. See: FS 775.215.
So, if he is living near any of those, you have to evict him and also law enforcement can remove him and arrest him for violating the law. If he is not living within 1000 feet, then all he has to do is register with law enforcement. If he has registered with law enforcement and is not violating the residency laws, you are not liable for him living there and he can continue to live in the residence.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if he has registered and he has I am liable because I know
Thank you for your reply.
NO, you are NOT LIABLE if he can legally reside there under the FL laws.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are the fl laws in this situation

Thank you for your reply.

There is no law holding you liable, so I cannot provide you a law. He is liable to register with local law enforcement and he cannot live within 1000 feet of churches, schools, playgrounds etc as I said above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about my mobile home park where he now lives that has children in it?????
Thank you for your reply.
The FL law restricts him living only within 1000 feet of the above listed places. It does not prohibit him living in a neighborhood where there are children, if that were the case a sex offender would never be able to live anywhere.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well ok then you'll here from me again if I need you again thank you
I would be more than pleased to work with you on any questions you may have in the future.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney