Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can someone tell me what the exact law is in state regarding…

Customer Question
Can someone tell me what...
Can someone tell me what the exact law is in Washington state regarding landlord tenants when it comes to repairs made within the 24 hour for emergencies and 8 days not emergency as far as taking it off rent
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/20/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Kindly provide proper foundation for your question.

I leased a home from landlord who lives directly across street but for 6 months a year goes to Arizona for winter ,I have a signed contract to replace sewer and he paid me for that before leaving with exception to the final 10%retainer but then as other problems arouse I would e mail him without reply and the emergencies I had to handle out of my own pocket after waiting more than 24-48 hours otherwise we wouldn't of been able to occupy home now he wants me to pay rent or he's evicting us??? What does Washington state law say in this case??

Thank you for the information.

The Washington State Resident Landlord and Tenant Act, Revised Code of Washington Title 59 Chapter 59.18 especially Section 59.18.100 permits the Tenant to deduct the cost of the repairs from rent. However, this amount is limited to two months of rent. So, the Landlord cannot evict you for non-payment if you properly deducted the amount of repairs from your rent. So, if or when the Landlord files eviction action against you, the repairs that you made should be used as your defense.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.18.100

There is no self-remedy to eviction actions in Washington State. This means that the Landlord cannot the change the locks or shut off your utilities to force you out. The Landlord must use the Court system to accomplish the eviction.

my landlord owes me roughly $23,000 stopped responding to my e mails about a month ago never responding to requests for repairs and now I was just served a eviction notice you've got to be kidding!! What leg do I have to stand on

I am sorry, but I am confused by your statement. I provided you the link to the relevant statutes in your case.

I have nothing else to add to my previous response. So, I am going to opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

If you like we can discuss your situation by phone for an additional charge. Your landlord has liability here but you have to let him begin his eviction process then the statute cited above protects you against eviction.

If just withholding rent is not enough then you can also sue for all the money you have spent on what is clearly a problematic and potentially uninhabitable property.