How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 2510
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a lease with a roommate who eventually stopped

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** signed a lease with a roommate who eventually stopped paying her half of the rent. We both signed the lease and had a verbal agreement to half all household bills. There was an eviction placed on us so I moved out. I continued to pay my half of the rent up until I moved out. The apartment complex filed a lawsuit against us in which the courts dismissed me from. The apartment is now on my credit. The debt collector said I have to file a lawsuit against my former roommate. Since the courts already dismissed me from the lawsuit should this not be on my credit? Do I have to sue my former roommate or is there another option? I live in CT. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The lease was signed Sept 2011for a year in which we both renewed in Sept 2012 for another year. I moved out July 2013 was dismissed from the lawsuit Aug 2013 and around mid 2014 the apartment was placed on my credit for $3,495. I sent the creditor my dismissal paperwork from court and they said that was not sufficient and my options are to pay the bill (which i refused because I paid all necessary monies while living there) or sue my former roommate for the balance. I'm not sure what other details are needed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

In landlord tenant matters, there are two different kinds of judgments: judgments for possession and money judgments. Are you sure that there is no money judgment against you, even if you were removed from the judgment for possession? The best way to be sure it's too get a copy of your credit report and see what's on it. Also, get a copy of the order dismissing you from the case. If it's true that you were fully dismissed from the case, including the money judgment, you may be able to contest it on your credit report.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

If you end up paying your former roommate's portion, then yes, you would have to sue her for reimbursement.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

If it is properly on your credit report, paying it is the only way to get it removed. Suing your roommate alone will not accomplish this.