Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I signed a lease with a roommate who eventually stopped

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is***** signed a lease with a roommate who eventually stopped paying her half of the rent. We both signed the lease and had a verbal agreement to half all household bills. There was an eviction placed on us so I moved out. I continued to pay my half of the rent up until I moved out. The apartment complex filed a lawsuit against us in which the courts dismissed me from. The apartment is now on my credit. The debt collector said I have to file a lawsuit against my former roommate. Since the courts already dismissed me from the lawsuit should this not be on my credit? Do I have to sue my former roommate or is there another option? I live in CT. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The lease was signed Sept 2011for a year in which we both renewed in Sept 2012 for another year. I moved out July 2013 was dismissed from the lawsuit Aug 2013 and around mid 2014 the apartment was placed on my credit for $3,495. I sent the creditor my dismissal paperwork from court and they said that was not sufficient and my options are to pay the bill (which i refused because I paid all necessary monies while living there) or sue my former roommate for the balance. I'm not sure what other details are needed.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/19/2016
Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Attorney replied 2 years ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Attorney

In landlord tenant matters, there are two different kinds of judgments: judgments for possession and money judgments. Are you sure that there is no money judgment against you, even if you were removed from the judgment for possession? The best way to be sure it's too get a copy of your credit report and see what's on it. Also, get a copy of the order dismissing you from the case. If it's true that you were fully dismissed from the case, including the money judgment, you may be able to contest it on your credit report.

If you end up paying your former roommate's portion, then yes, you would have to sue her for reimbursement.

If it is properly on your credit report, paying it is the only way to get it removed. Suing your roommate alone will not accomplish this.