Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Ive been renting an apartment in Monterey, Ca .5 years. They…

Customer Question
Ive been renting an apartment...
Ive been renting an apartment in Monterey , Ca for 3.5 years. They have raised my rent Now...$300 since ive moved in. They raise it at $100 at a time. When I moved in it was $1,175.00 and now it will be $1475.00. it seams like a big jump ever year
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/17/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Do you have a written lease? Are these increases occuring when the lease terms expire? Are you in a rent controlled unit?

Are you online with me?

Hello Sir,
When I first moved in I had a 6 month lease ( minimum stay time ) and it lasted about 2 plus years with 1 - $100 dollar rent increase. Starting 2 years a go they started issuing MUST sign lease options. ( options are full yr, 6 month or month to month ) each option is a more than the 1 yr option. My concern is it looks like they are on a trend to raise my rent $100 every year.....were does it end???
Plus they are now making it mandatory for renters to purchase renters insurance

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

no ty ...lets text

Unfortunately, unless you are in a rent cotrolled unit or city, which you are not, the landlord and you are free to negotiate any terms you can agree to. The landlord is legally permitted to increase the rent to whatever the market will bear. Likewise, you are free to move when the lease expires and find another apartment.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Hello???

Are you still online with me?

I don't want to call, I just need an answer,,,here please

I have answered. Can you see my answer?

sorry,,,, thank you for your help..
what about forcing us to carry renters insurance...?

It is not illegal to insist you carry insurance. Sorry. Do not be afraid to negotiate, though.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

ty....will do

Much appreciated. Good luck to you.