Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is it legal to have the electricity turned off on homes

Customer Question
where there used to be...
is it legal to have the electricity turned off on homes where there used to be a business with employees and the business has sold and the employees did live there in the house is more than 2 years they have been served a 60 day notice is it if they're not paying rent is it legal to give them a three day notice now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/16/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A property owner may never turn off the electricity or other utilities in order to induce someone who originally entered the property with permission to leave. The only way to lawfully evict someone from a home, even if it was used as a business, is to go to court and get a court order. The former employees living in the property could sue for damages if the landlord cut off their power.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney