Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Can a rental company make you stay an extra month after

Customer Question
legal binding lease is up...
can a rental company make you stay an extra month after legal binding lease is up after required time because you didn't put in proper notice after I told them email and even got lock out of there portal
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/15/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Was the notice and method provided for in your lease?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my legal contract no but there policy yes

There is no notice required in the written lease? If that is the case, what is the notice for, that they say you have not given?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a 60 day notice was in a packet that we signed off on but we sent them emails, told the verbally and on there tenant portal we were leaving on march 31 but they say that we didn't give them proper notice and we have to stay another month can they make us stay another month and how do I fight it..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it is not in our lease

Did you sign a rider or amendment agreeing to give notice of non-renewal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is a rider

An exhibit to the contract containing additional terms which you sign and make a part of the contract.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DONT KNOW

Ok. If the notice is not contained in the lease or it is not something you signed to make it a part of the lease then they can not enforce it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I JUST SIGNED MY LEASE WHICH WAS MARCH 31 2016 AND OTHER PAPERWORK

If you agreed to give notice (and signed the agreement to provide notice) then they can hold you to pay rent for the notice period, if it was missed or you did not use the agreed method to give notice.

However, they can not hold you prisoner in the apartment if you want to leave..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the Agency wants to talk to my lawyer what should I do

Tell your lawyer to call them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have one

If the notice requirement is not in the lease they are going to have a problem enforcing it.

Tell them you do not have an attorney and demand they show you where in your signed lease the obligation is created.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO LOOK AT THE INFO

What info (and please release the cap lock)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the lease and the paper I signed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can I email it to you

Upload it here. How many pages is it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have it with it is at home

Can you upload it here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have it with me and I don't thinkso
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can I come back and do it

Sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok will do

I'll be here.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer