Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I used to live in a trailer park and had a lease rent. I…

Customer Question
I used to live in...
I used to live in a trailer park and had a lease for lot rent. I owned the trailer. I have moved and sold the trailer and also provided the 30 day written notice that was required. The trailer has been sold to a couple. They say because they lady didn't pass the background check that I am still responsible for lot rent. They never said the guy didn't pass, so why am I still responsible for it? They say if they don't have the money by Monday they will start eviction. What does that mean for me if I no longer live there or own the trailer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/15/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What does your lease say about the park's right to approve tenants?
they had to be approved for a credit and background check to maintain residence.
Thank you for your reply.
If they had to be approved, then the failure of either of the buyers to be approved can be grounds for them to deny your transfer. Once the transfer is denied, you are liable for the lease and the people who bought your trailer can move the trailer if they bought it. Until the transfer is approved by the trailer park you remain liable.
If he passed and she didn't pass, then you would have the right to argue that the denial was arbitrary and without cause and ask them to reconsider and if they refuse to reconsider then you would have to sue the park and get the court to decide if they made a valid decision to deny the female buyer.