Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If I have a tenant that does not have a lease but has been…

Customer Question
If I have a tenant...
If I have a tenant that does not have a lease but has been paying on a weekly basis towards bills but I want to evict-what can I do ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/14/2016
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Hi Eric! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Unfortunately, if he will not leave voluntarily, you do need to go through the legal process to avoid being accused of an illegal eviction. When there is no lease, the occupant is considered an “at will” tenant and treated legally as a month to month tenant. As such, you can terminate this tenancy by giving written notice of at least 60 days pursuant to Del Code Ann. Tit. 25, §5107. If he does not leave voluntarily, under Delaware law, you will then need to give a 5-Day Notice to Quit...meaning he must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if he still has not left, you will have to file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is granted...you can have the sheriff evict. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to move his stuff out, change the locks, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order. In the interim, if he poses any threat to your person or property, you can get a restraining order to get him out of the house immediately while the eviction process runs its course.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you could just force him out immediately, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!