How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9965
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in my mothers house after her death that I am 1/5

Customer Question

I live in my mothers house after her death that I am 1/5 owner of- pay for utilities- up keep and will pay for taxes. Do I have the right to evict my Niece that causes damage to the house- and never pays for anything?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

What state is this in regards to? Is there a lease in regards ***** ***** property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohio- no lease - I stayed her taking care of my mom- and after she passed on- my Niece moved In - in Oct. to help with expense/ bills and has not paid anything.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience as I prepared my response.

So unfortunately when one tries to help a friend/relative out by allowing them to stay at their home for no/low cost, if the arrangement is long term (generally defined as longer than 30 days) the court will consider them a tenant at will. What this means is that they are no longer simply a guest, but rather have the same rights as a tenant, which requires the owner of the home to go through the legal process (ie providing formal notice to vacate and following through with the legal eviction process if they fail to vacate).

OH does not have any requirement that a lease be in writing. So if there is an oral agreement that one will contribute to the expenses of the home, then the owner may sue for those damages. But in the meantime, in order to remove the tenant at will the landlord would need to follow proper legal procedure.

If there is an executor (if the house is still in probate) the executor would be responsible for handling the issue, as the executor is responsible for maintaining and preserving the estate assets.

If there is no written or oral lease that specifies a time frame, generally the courts will construe the arrangement as a 30 day tenancy (for this, please see section 5321.17 located here:

For information on the eviction process please see:

Many times, a tenant can be paid to leave- basically to avoid the legal costs (and hassle) of a formal eviction. The landlord will often offer the tenant money to vacate by a certain date and turn over the keys. Others prefer to go through with the formal eviction process, and then seek damages from the tenant.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

An overview of landlord/tenancy law:

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

This lists the damages a landlord may sue a tenant for:

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions