Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My son is a college student and the lessee, I am s mother…

Customer Question
my son is a college...
my son is a college student and the lessee, I am his mother and his guarantor. when we rented, we did not know the apartment was infested with insects. my son has allergies and started having problems. the lease started in Aug 15 and ends in July 16; in Dec 2015 the landlord was still spraying the apartment and my son's health got worse. They landlord would not release my son from the contract. with the advice of a lawyer, my son filed in court to resolve the case. his lawyer calls us before the hearing and tells us the case was resolved and my son was free to go ; he needs to list the apartment for sublease if we can find somebody. we just discovered that the lawyer doesn't have the agreement in writing, we did not go back to court, and the landlord is asking for the monthly rent repeatidly. the landlord refuses to talk to the lawyer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/11/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

What is your specific question?

my son left the apartment after his lawyer told him he is free of the contract; the lawyer did not get the agreement with the landlord in writing. the landlord denies any agreement and is asking my son for rent. what is my legal course of action?

Thank you for the information.

It is now solely the problem of the Attorney to deal with the Landlord since your son acted on the advice of the Attorney. Your son needs to send all letters from the Landlord to the Attorney and tell the Attorney to resolve the issue. Any charges by the Landlord as a result of the Attorney not getting the agreement in writing are solely the responsibility of the Attorney. If the Attorney refuses to resolve the issue or pay the charges, then you may not have any choice but to file bar complaint against the Attorney for misconduct.