How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118247
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 90 year old mom has a care provider living in her home.

Customer Question

My 90 year old mom has a care provider living in her home. The provider gets room and board and is paid $450/week as salary. She is in the Section 8 program and wants my mom to become a section 8 landlord so she can rent from us. Is this legal? Does she have to declare this rent as extra income?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your mom would have to declare the rent as income. Furthermore, it may be the provider is not declaring the room and board as well as salary, which is considered earnings, to qualify for Section 8. So I would suggest staying away from this. Also, if your mom becomes a Section 8 landlord, her home has to be inspected and brought up to the Section 8 standards which can also be a burden.