Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm a renter and our landlord led us to beleive that she was…

Customer Question
I'm a renter and our...
I'm a renter and our landlord led us to beleive that she was renewing our lease as she agreed verbally, in text messages and by signing all pages but one. Then she send a letter saying that she changed her mind and we have to vacate by end of the month? We did not receive this surprise until Feb 3 at which time we received the letter and our rent check returned.
This will not give us enough time to adjust and move. Are we allowed to stay through March since we did not get notified by Feb 1, when rent was due?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/4/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Which state?

Florida

Thank you for the additional information.

As the offer to renew was made and accepted, and you were already in possession of the premises, you are a month to month tenant and the landlord's attempt to terminate is defective.

By law, you are entitled to 15 days notice prior to the end of the next rental period. So, your tenancy goes to the end of February. You still have to pay rent, though, so, return the rent check to the landlord.