Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Florida and sent a letter to my landlord

Customer Question
Hi , I live in Florida...
Hi ,
I live in Florida and sent a letter to my landlord explaining that we expect to get our $1800 security deposit back less cost to replace a broken refrigerator drawer and a small mini blind totally $160. We cleaned the entire place thoroughly and left no other damage except for what i mentioned above and took lots of photos to document. We sent the letter several days after we moved out and then he responded within 30 days with a two page list of bogus and fabricated damages claiming that, not only will he not return our money ($1,640) but that we owe him another 1,000 dollars. My question is...Am I obligated to respond to his letter even though I have already sent him a letter regarding the security deposit? And second... if I do need to respond to his demand letter, does he have a certain amount of time to respond before I file in small claims court to get my money back?
Thanks much,
Trish
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/2/2016
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello

You do not need to respond to the letter further. You may proceed to sue in small claims court right away.

Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.

Kindly rate the answer positively.

thank you.