Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

After being locked out from a commercial space in May 2015 I…

Customer Question
After being locked out from...
After being locked out from a commercial space in May 2015 I did not cancel utilities. The landlord rented the space. A this time I have a $1,100.00 utility bill. Do I have to pay this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/31/2016
Lawyer: rayanswers, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Is your name on the utility bill and did you use the electric or was this the new tenant.Some more information here please.

My name is ***** ***** utility bill. I was locked out. I don't know the new tenent.

The utility is going to turn you to collections here if you do not pay since they are in your name.Since you didn't cancel the utilities the utility company will hold you liable here.I wish I could tell you otherwise.

This is going to be different from the issue with landlord about lockout.The utility will seek to try and collect from you if the utilities are in your name and you did not cancel.You would remain liable until you cancel and terminate service.

It is possible the utility may work with you on payments and/or reduce the bill a bit since you were locked out.But your name was on the account they can hold you liable unfortunately.

I would contact the utility here to see what they will do for you.Maybe they reduce the amount or agree to payments.

I appreciate the chance to help you today. I wish you the best with this.