Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am disabled vet apt renter w/good rental payment story and…

Customer Question
I am disabled vet apt...
I am disabled vet apt renter w/good rental payment history and am being threatened with ejectment
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/30/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

I am sorry to learn of your situation.

If you are on a term lease (for example a "12 month" lease), the landlord cannot end your lease early without cause (for example, failure to pay rent, or violation of some "material" (significant) lease term - such as breaking the law on the property).

If you are on a "month to month" (for example a "tenancy at sufferance" "holdover tenancy" (the type of tenancy following a term lease), or a "tenancy at will") the landlord can terminate the lease without cause by giving you proper notice. The notice period differs depending on what state you are in (most states require 30 days, while some states, for example, CA, have different timelines - in CA if you have lived in the unit for 12 months or less you get 30 days, while if you have lived there for more than 12 months you get 60 days).

Being a disabled veteran does not create any additional rights with regards ***** ***** terminations.

However, if you do need assistance with finding a new place to live - your local housing authority will take this into consideration (county housing authorities specialize in placing disabled, low income, and veteran tenants).