Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord called my job today inquiring about my work

Customer Question
status because she sees me...
My landlord called my job today inquiring about my work status because she sees me home all the time. She stated that I was renewing my lease which was a complete lie in order to get the information. I did not give permission to call my job and it doesn't say in my lease she can do this. I have paid my rent on time a day early for 1 1/2 year consistently. The place has been kept in an impeccable state and this is why my lease was renewed August. Under New York state law, can my landlord call my job at anytime for no reason? Also, if not, can I break my lease if this is an invasion of my privacy? Also just to give some background context, a couple months ago she wanted to enter my apartment to verify if she here a noise in the wall that's consistent with a noise in her wall. I said I don't feel comfortable with that if Im not home. She then got upset and stated she can enter our place whenever she feels since it is her house and her investment which I believe would be breaking privacy laws if it is not in case of a emergency.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/28/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Albert,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, it was your employer who truly breached your legal right of privacy by providing information about you which they had no business providing. However, technically so did the landlord by looking into your private affairs without your permission and without good cause, and you may certainty sue the landlord for Invasion of Privacy.

Your landlord broke no laws in asking the status of your employment and lying about you renewing your lease is not in and of itself a crime.

Your landlord certainly does not have the legal right to enter anytime they want---except in case of a bone fide emergency----which a noise in the wall is NOT! That, coupled with the statement that they would enter anytime they pleased could have been a basis to terminate the lease at that point in time---but it is no longer.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney