Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a MOLD problem growing in my apartment. Is the

Customer Question
landlord (thru their insurance)responsible to...
I have a MOLD problem growing in my apartment. Is the landlord (thru their insurance)responsible to prove me with a place to stay while the repairs are taking place? DO I pay rent for the month of February? What are MY RIGHTS?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/28/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am terribly sorry to hear this. You can certainly request they provide temporary accommodations while the problem is addressed. You also have the right to withhold rent so that you can repair the issue itself. Landlords are required to provide a habitable and safe premises for the tenant. You also have the opportunity to abandon if the mold issue is so severe.

Here is a great resource for you to use not only in this case but going forward. You may have a claim against the Landlord because there is a certain handbook he should have given you when there is a mold problem.