Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live on a public access road in Charleston Oregon. There…

Customer Question
I live on a public...
I live on a public access road in Charleston Oregon. There are large pot holes in the road creating difficulty entering or leaving my home. Since it is public access the Coos County Department of Roads says it is up to locals on the road to fix the pot holes. The Landlord has 5 rental properties on this road and refuses to fix the pot holes. Is there any redress for those of us who rent? Please Advise. Dr. G. ****** ***-***-****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/26/2016
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

A public access road in Oregon is essentially a private road. The county is not responsible for maintaining it unless it chooses to do so. It is the responsibility of the abutting property owners to maintain the road. Given the position of the county the responsibility for maintenance falls on all the land owners along the road. The best you can do is try to force the landowners to make the necessary repairs but that will probably require a court action. Your landlord could not be required to assume the entire burden of repair himself just his share of the cost.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no simple solution if the land owners do not maintain the road.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

I sent you an answer several days ago but have not had a response from you. If you have more questions, please let me know. If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for my answer.